The following NGOs call for Khalid Ibrahim’s immediate resignation, that the new leader of Selangor Pakatan Rakyat be appointed as the new Menteri Besar if the coalition still commands at least 29 votes in the State Legislative Assembly, and PAS to affirm its membership in Pakatan Rakyat .
We are greatly saddened by the worsening l crisis of Selangor, with the retention of Khalid Ibrahim as a party-less Menteri Besar and his announcement of sacking six Executive Councillors (EXCOs), and the impression that Selangor is now ruled by a de facto coalition. All these irresponsible developments have let down all Selangorians and Malaysians who believe in democracy and voted in the last general elections.
Our full position is as below:
1. Parliamentary system is fundamentally based on political parties. It allows the ruling parties/coalition change the head of government at any point of time they wish to. Any head of government upon losing the confidence of his party should just gracefully bow out. Khalid Ibrahim should just resign honourably.
2. In the last Selangor State Election, the electorate of Selangor voted for a Pakatan Rakyat government. As Selangor is not a presidential democracy, Khalid has no direct and personal mandate. By not only clinging on to power, but further announcing the sacking of six executive councillors (Excos) from PKR and DAP, Khalid Ibrahim has doubly denounced democracy and betrayed the electorate.
3. Under Article 53(6) of the Selangor State Constitution, Khalid Ibrahim now has also demonstrated his utter contempt for His Royal Highness Sultan of Selangor in his announcement of the sacking of the Excos, by usurping His Royal Highness’ power in terminating the service of Excos.
4. The Statement by PAS Exco Sallehan Mukhyi that PAS is alone in backing Khalid Ibrahim without collaborating with UMNO is flawed. A government supported by only 16 members is not tenable. To present that as a majority government would have been misleading.
5. All parties, namely the Palace, Pakatan Rakyat, PAS and Khalid Ibrahim must act according to Selangor State Constitution and the conventions of parliamentary democracy and constitutional monarchy, to end this constitutional crisis at once and restore a legitimate and functional government in Selangor.
Issued by the following non-governmental organisations:
1. Kuala Lumpur & Selangor Chinese Assembly Hall (KLSCAH)
2. Pertubuhan IKRAM Malaysia (IKRAM)
3. Lim Lian Geok Cultural Development Centre (LLG)
4. Suara Rakyat Malaysia (SUARAM)
5. Pusat Komunikasi Masyarakat (KOMAS)
6. Saya Anak Bangsa Malaysia (SABM)
7. Persatuan Masyarakat Selangor dan Wilayah Persekutuan (Permas)
8. National Indian Rights Action Team (NIAT)
9. Persatuan Bekas Siswazah Universiti dan Kelej di China, Malaysia (Liu-Hua)
10. Japan Graduates Association, Malayia (JAGAM)
11. Kumpulan Aktivis Mahasiwa Independent (KAMI)